What advice would you give to Asia enterprises relating to the best way to prepare for the IT environment in 2011?
- The IT environment is getting ever complex and sophisticated over time especially with the emergence of mobile workforce and the emergence of multi-technology based connectivity solution.
- One area that has deserved close attention is the unpredictable pattern of network usage due to the mobile nature of the workforce. Thus, enterprises need to look at network solution that is scalable from day one. This entails planning, prediction, optimization, and troubleshooting, etc. of the network infrastructure over time.
- In addition, enterprises need to be circumspect in the level of IT transformation within the organization. There is increasing need to understand the workflow of the enterprise and the mapping of right mobility solution to streamline and enhance the entire process.
- Another area concerns the interoperability between different technologies and different information systems. Furthermore, enterprises need to constantly evaluate the merit of the network in terms of its life span against obsolescent. This is to ensure the smooth operation of the enterprises' business against network migration and upgrade. At Motorola Solutions, we strongly believe in the delivery of such a complete and interoperable solution and have always incorporated the critical needs of our customers into our solution development and delivery.
What do you think that 2011 - the Year of the Rabbit - will be remembered for, when we look back at it from 2012?
- IT executives will continue to be prudent in terms of the overall IT spend; thus, they are likely to look at areas that will maximize their ROI against their IT investment.
- Of critical importance in terms of ROI to IT executives, are the areas that are targeted at helping to increase productivity and efficiency across the enterprise.
- Workforce or field mobility is one key area that will improve tremendously the productivity and efficiency at the enterprise level; hence, we expect to see the increase focus in the tools that could help transform the IT landscape. Mobile computing devices such as ES400 and MC65 are examples of such tools that would help in the enterprise IT transformation in 2011.
Which attributes of senior IT executives do you think will be needed most in the coming year 2011 and why?
- As IT deployment gets more complex, it encompasses multiple disciplines and technologies such as software (OS, database, applications, etc.), networks, telecommunications, wireless, etc. Thus, IT executives who are well-versed in multi-disciplines and multiple technologies are best positioned to ride the wave of convergence.
Sign up for MIS Asia eNewsletters.