Subscribe / Unsubscribe Enewsletters | Login | Register

Pencil Banner

Flight MH370 includes 12 Malaysian Freescale staff, and KL-based IBM executive

AvantiKumar | March 10, 2014
(UPDATED: 27 May 2014) DCA and Inmarsat release 'raw data' public; relatives of passengers list questions.


Day 20: SAR stalled by weather, new images from Thai satellite show 300 floating objects

[0830pm MYT 27 March 2014]

Minister Hishamuddin has updated via his official communication Twitter channel as both the Ministry of Transport and Malaysia Airlines media updates were cancelled today. A Tweet earlier this afternoon said the weather in the search zone was 'not good today SAR stalled again."

The search team in the southern Indian Ocean now includes 11 planes and five ships.

According to AFP, another development is the sighting of 300 floating objects in the southern Indian Ocean caught by new images from a Thai satellite.

The objects, AFP said, range from two to 15 metres (6.5 to 50 feet) in size, andscattered over an area about 2,700 kilometres (1,680 miles) southwest of Perth, according to the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency.

"But we cannot -- dare not -- confirm they are debris from the plane," the agency's executive director, Anond Snidvongs, told AFP. 

Thai Satellite images modified 

Satellite images provided by Thailand's Geo Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency show floating objects in the Indian Ocean. Photograph: Xinhua/Landov/Barcroft Media

 

Day 21: A new credible lead refines search zone

AMSA released the following announcement - Search operation for Malaysia Airlines aircraft -  earlier today at 1130 AEDT:

"The search area for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been updated after a new credible lead was provided to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).

As a result today’s search will shift to an area 1,100 kilometres to the north east based on updated advice provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), Australia’s investigation agency, has examined this advice and determined that this is the most credible lead to where debris may be located.

The new search area is approximately 319,000 square kilometres and around 1,850 kilometres west of Perth.

The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost.

It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean.

ATSB advises the potential flight path may be the subject of further refinement as the international investigative team supporting the search continues their analysis.

The Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation is re-tasking satellites to image the new area.

Weather conditions have improved in the area and ten aircraft are tasked for today’s search.

They include two Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) P3 Orions, a Japanese Coast Guard jet, a Japanese P3 Orion, a Republic of Korea P3 Orion, a Republic of Korea C130 Hercules, a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P3 Orion, a Chinese military Ilyushin IL-76, a United States Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft, and one civil jet acting as a communications relay.

A further RAAF P3 Orion has been placed on standby at Pearce to investigate any reported sightings.

There are now six vessels relocating to the new search area including HMAS Success and five Chinese ships."

 

Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  Next Page 

Sign up for MIS Asia eNewsletters.